Guido Peter Brink (1913 - 2002)

Birth date: 1/8/1913 Death date: 2002  
Birth location: Dusseldorf, Germany Death location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin  
Media: Architecture , Painting , Sculpture Web site:
Comprehensive (file rating) - Major Wisconsin artist file that includes comprehensive documentation on artist's life that can be researched on site at MWA.

Biographical Brief

1929: German Immigrant artist arrives in Wisconsin to work for his uncle at A.L.Brink Studio that was contracted to produce painted glass for Tiffany & Co. Studios
Studied: 1931: semester at Columbia University, New York
             1934-39: State Academy of Fine Arts, (Staatliche Kunstakademie) Dusseldorf, Germany under  
             Maximillian Clarenbach
             1952: received fellowship to study at Academy Beaux-Arts Matiers d' Art, Paris, France
             1959: studied welding and metal fabrication, Milwaukee Area Technical College
1940-45: Lieutenant, German infantry on Russian and Italian fronts
1953: marries Elisabeth "Ello"  Hutmacher and moves first to New York and then to Milwaukee.
          Worked at Conrad Schmitt Studios, New Berlin, Wisconsin  
Taught: 1955 - 1974:  Layton School of Art and Design, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
            1958: began teaching summer art classes, Sheboygan, Wisconsin
            1974: founds and becomes first president of the Milwaukee School of the Arts (now Milwaukee
            Institute of Art & Design)
1961-62: awarded Layton School of Art & Design Fellowship
1962: became chair of Layton School of art faculty
1966-present: guest artist-in-residence , Super Steel Products Corp. and began creating large scale metal
1968: collaborated with Robert Moog, inventor of the synthesizer, on Electronic Sculpture.
1970: Award of Merit for outstanding work, American Institute of Architects (AIA), Wisconsin Chapter
1972: featured in "Artist using a Factory as his Studio" WMVSTV Channel 10
1990:  featured in Art's Place, a special program on the arts in Milwaukee, WMVS-TV
1992: honored as Founder of Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design with Guido Brink Retrospective
1995: featured guest interview with Jim Peck on I Remember Milwaukee, WMVS-TV
Exhibited: 1953: Art in Architecture, (first slab glass & cement pieces,  Architectural League New York
              1954: Saint Michael sculpture, German Expressionist Exhibitions, Layton Art Gallery,
               Milwaukee, Wisconsin
              1959: The Phoenix,  sculptures of Painters, Fairweather-Hardin Gallery Int.Chicago, Illinois
Collections: The Quad Collection 1971-1996.
                   Busch-Reisinger Museum, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 
                   1959: Portrait of Father Francis C. Wade, S.J. Marquette University, Mlwaukee, Wisconsin
                   1970: The Spirit of Manitou, Tippecanoe Branch Library, Milwaukee, Wisconsin assisted by
                   architectural firm , Darby, Bogner and Associates.
                   1972: installs Unfolding Red, Brookfield Public Library, Brookfield, Wisconsin
                   1973: installs Man and Technology, Waukesha County Technical Institute campus, partially
                   funded by the Wisconsin Arts council in conjunction with the national Endowment  for the Arts and
                   A.J. Natalizio (rededicated 9/12/2001)
                   1984: installs The Unfolding,  lobby of the Center  for the Humanities, Loyola University,
                   Chicago, Illinois
                   1987: wins Milwaukee Art Commission competition, Deflected Jets, Engine House No.29,
                  (Third Battalion)3529 S. 84th Street, Milwaukee, WI 53228 Milwaukee, Wisconsin
                   1992: installs The Happy Go Luckies of Nature and Technology, University of Wisconsin-
                   Milwaukee campus
                   1993: installs Jubilation, Irvin L. Young Auditorium, University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, 125th
                   Centennial Celebration (funded through Wisconsin's Percent for Art Program).
                   1998: donated the Ello and Guido Brink Collection of Portraits of the Teatro Maria era to
                   Marquette University.

  • Facebook icon
  • Twitter icon
  • Instagram icon
  • Flickr icon
  • Youtube icon
  • E-News icon